Reading and Phonics
To provide an English curriculum that will teach children to speak, read and write fluently so they can communicate their ideas effectively to others.
- To develop children into efficient, effective, thoughtful and strategic readers who can learn about life, discover information and deepen their thinking through considering other people’s views and experiences with a critical mind
- Establish a consistent and coherent pedagogical pathway to the teaching of phonics from Early Years and beyond.
- Understand and apply their knowledge of phonics in reading.
- To teach children aural discrimination, phonemic awareness and rhyme to aid reading, writing and spelling development.
- To encourage the use of segmenting and blending so that decoding skills provide a sound foundation for reading, writing and spelling.
- To ensure the teaching of phonics is lively, interactive and investigative.
- To enable children to use phonic awareness across the curriculum.
- To ensure that children know the 44 phonemes within the English language.
- To teach children to recognise the graphemes within words and associate them with the appropriate phoneme when reading.
- To provide children with strategies to identify and decode ‘tricky words’.
- To develop retrieval skills through a range of information texts, including those related to the class’ topic.
- To consolidate literacy skills, build vocabulary and develop fluency and confidence as speakers, writers and readers of language.
- To develop inference skills through a range of texts, including poetry.
- To help children become avid readers, giving them greater understanding of the wider world.
- To create a reading culture that celebrates a love and enjoyment of books, motivating reluctant readers.
- To be able to read a range of materials fluently, critically and with understanding for enjoyment and for information
- To provide opportunities to apply reading across the wider curriculum.
- For children to develop a wide knowledge of vocabulary and understanding of words in context.
Find out more about our phonics here:
Find out more about how we teach reading here: